Building on the success of Shopify Markets, Shopify Markets Pro and Shopify Translate & Adapt help merchants quickly expand into new markets without added complexity
- Shopify Markets democratized access to international commerce for independent traders
- With Shopify Markets Pro, Shopify’s new cross-border merchant-of-record solution, merchants can now accelerate their overnight global expansion to 150+ countries without adding complexity
- Shopify Translate & Adapt quickly and accurately locates the customer journey, the key to effective international selling
Commerce is a global industry with global opportunities. That’s why we started 2021 Shopify Markets to remove the barriers to cross-border selling and allow Shopify merchants to go global by default. Since then, more than 175,000 traders around the world have used Markets to launch their international trades. In the US, merchants using Shopify Markets sell to an average of 14 other countries.
“Using Shopify markets has changed everything for us. It has provided us with transparent, easily digestible data that helps us measure our global performance,” said David Wiggins, Head of Ecommerce at Walk London. “Using this data has also enabled us to make more strategic marketing decisions, such as: B. offering an improved shipping service, more localized payment methods or the introduction of new languages suitable for certain markets. All of this helps drive our growth strategy.”
Now, we’re building on the success of Shopify Markets with the launch of Shopify Markets Pro and Shopify Translate & Customize to make cross-border commerce even easier for Shopify merchants who wish to do so accelerate their global expansion without added complexity.
Shopify Markets Pro helps merchants go global overnight
Shopify Markets Pro is our native merchant-of-record solution built on our partnership with Global-e makes it easy for Shopify merchants to expand their businesses to 150+ countries worldwide overnight. Here’s how:
- Manages compliance on behalf of the merchant
- Tax and duty compliance is different in each market and can change frequently. currencies fluctuate; and merchants need to be wary of increasing fraudulent orders. All these obligations make entering new markets slow and expensive. By using Shopify’s native Merchant of Record solution, all of this complexity is handled at scale for the merchant.
- Access to cheap express shipping with DHL
- It is difficult to negotiate affordable international shipping rates as an individual merchant, especially for expedited shipping. With Markets Pro, Shopify negotiates on their behalf, giving merchants access to preferred competitive rates so they can delight consumers with fast shipping and prepaid duties.
- Creates a seamless consumer experience
- Consumer expectations are different in every market, and we know that creating a localized, seamless customer experience is key to selling effectively internationally. Consumers want to shop in their local currency, with their preferred payment method, and without surprise customs fees upon delivery.
- In fact, we found that selling in a local currency increases GMV of international buyers by 7%*and enable Local payment methods increase the checkout rate by approximately 6%**.
- Markets Pro simplifies the optimization of the consumer experience and builds on the success of Shopify Markets to increase conversion by solving complexities such as local currency, payment methods, shipping, and taxes and duties at scale.
“Shopify Markets Pro has simplified and scaled our global expansion strategy without adding the complexities we typically face when selling to international consumers,” said Jake Allain, COO at State & Liberty Clothing Co. “The nuances of global markets Understanding is a daunting task and being managed by Shopify, the platform we already use to build our business, has allowed us to focus on building quality products.”
“Whether selling internationally for the first time or scaling an emerging part of their business, merchants face new and evolving complexities such as taxes, duties, pricing, languages and payments. With Shopify Markets Pro and our partnership with Global-e, we are giving merchants the ability to quickly scale their international sales using a merchant-of-record solution that would not normally be accessible to independent brands,” said Rohit Mishra, Director of Product at Shopify. “And because Markets Pro is built right into the Shopify admin, merchants get a single, unified view of their business – no matter where they’re selling.”
Learn more about how Shopify Markets and Shopify Markets Pro can help with international expansion here.
Shopify Translate & Adapt helps merchants deliver a local, nuanced customer experience
International trade is all about the details. Consumers expect a localized experience. Shopify Translate & Customize, a new app that works with Shopify Markets and Shopify Markets Pro, helps merchants quickly and accurately pinpoint the customer journey. Here’s how:
- Translate your shop into different languages with manual and machine translations.
- Merchants can now translate their shop with the click of a button with automatic translation and edit translations manually to refine and perfect content to reach more multilingual customers.
- Customize custom content for each market. For example:
- Traders can accommodate variations in dialects and languages, e.g. For example, changing “trousers” to “trousers” when switching from American to British English.
- You could create different shipping terms for each market, such as: B. A minimum amount for free shipping.
- You could also add or remove lines from product descriptions to better reflect how individual products might be used or referenced in different countries.
- And they could customize content in an FAQ or contact page to better route customer inquiries.
- We know that creating a seamless customer journey has real business impact: Translating content increases GMV by 13%*** from buyers who see this localized content.
“Shopify Translate & Adapt has become a key component of our localization strategy,” said Gerard Justo Romero, Ecommerce Operations Specialist at Alohas. “As a global brand, it’s important that we offer Alohas shoppers a familiar shopping experience, no matter where they are. Shopify’s new Translate app makes this easy and has become a key resource in our translator toolkit.”
“Expanding into new markets without a localized consumer experience means you are leaving untapped potential on the table,” Mishra continued. “Shopify Translate & Adapt is reimagining the way Shopify merchants can create high-touch storefronts for any market, all from a single store and platform, and we believe this is a game changer for increasing empathy and consumer conversion will be.”
Cross-border trade is complex; Shopify makes it easy
This is just the beginning: we make cross-border trade not only accessible, but also easy. Here are some of the updates that traders can expect soon:
- Now merchants can set shipping rates for international markets in local currencies, and more merchants can easily adjust the prices of products in different markets with international prices.
- We will soon be releasing the ability for merchants to customize the products they make available in each market.
- We continue to improve our global postcode validation to enable seamless cross-border trade. Merchants now have zip code validation in 100 new markets.
- And early next year, merchants will have the ability to customize the way they route orders to different inventory locations to optimize fulfillment in different markets.
Shopify Markets Pro is available in Early Access for US merchants starting today. Learn more here.
Shopify Translate & Adapt is available to all merchants worldwide starting today. Learn more here.
*Based on a Shopify study conducted in April 2021
**Based on a Shopify study conducted from September 1, 2021 to February 28, 2022 excluding Black Friday/Cyber Monday weeks (November 10 – December 08, 2021)
***Based on a Shopify study conducted from March 22, 2021 to May 7, 2021